Top Ten Ways You Can Create a “PositivEarth”
Many people want to help make our world a better place, but don’t know where to start. Being eco-friendly for our planet is an appealing idea, but you may feel lost when it comes to making a difference. No worries – you’d be surprised at how easy becoming more eco-friendly can truly be. Here are the top ten ways you can make a positive impact on our planet.
- Stop using single-use plastics. Harmful plastics serve as one of the biggest threats to our environment. Single-use plastics have become a regular part of our lives, but giving them up isn’t as difficult as you may think. Buy yourself a reusable water bottle instead of buying plastic ones. Say no to plastic silverware when you’re ordering food. Opt for no plastic straw when drinking a beverage. Use reusable bags at the store. Even Keurig coffee makers have reusable cups to use with coffee grounds instead of going through a hundred of those k-cups.
- Use reusable containers and bags, instead of paper or plastic.
Taking reusable bags and containers to the store with you is a simple way to reduce the use of paper and plastic bags that they’ll use to bag your items. Reusable containers and bags can be used for a myriad of things, including packing your or your children’s lunch, general storage, or a unique twist on gift-wrapping.
- Don’t waste your food.
Not only is wasted food a waste of money, but it adds to the amount of CO2 being created in landfills. Being conscientious of your use of food can significantly help our planet. If you want to take it to the next level, at-home composting is a viable option that can be easy to learn how to do with a simple Google search.
- Donate or reuse your clothing and other items.
Recycling is more than just putting your used plastics in the right bin. Recycling clothes and other used items by donating or repurposing them is a great way to reduce waste.
- Use eco-friendly products.
From beauty items and shampoos to cleaning supplies and toilet paper, the products you use have a huge impact on our planet. Harsh chemicals, packaging, and transportation of said products all have a harmful effect on our ecosystem. Choosing eco-friendly products is an easy way to make a positive difference.
- Use electronic documentation rather than wasting paper.
Our society is mainly run by technology anyway, so why waste the paper when you can share, store, and read everything electronically nowadays? Be mindful of what you need to print when you can.
- Be mindful of your electric, heat and water use in your home.
Energy conservation is one of the most important steps you can take toward reducing your carbon footprint. Make sure you remember to turn off, unplug, and dial down whenever you can.
- Shop local.
When you buy your everyday items like food and clothing, more carbon is created the further they must transport. Make sure the items you purchase are made and bought as close to home as possible. Not only will this ensure less carbon pollution, but it can help your community to overcome financial adversities, too.
- Choose a different mode of transportation.
Deciding to drive can really add to your carbon footprint, and choosing another route is an easy way to be more eco-friendly. The options that exist are endless. Walk, bike, or choose to take public transportation. If driving is unavoidable, then opt for an eco-friendlier vehicle and try to carpool as often as you can.
- Eat less meat.
Meat and dairy are responsible for the majority of greenhouse gas emissions in the agricultural industry. Cutting down on your meat intake, even if only a few days of the week (a fully-vegan diet can seem intimidating for some), can make a difference.
Written by: Marley Decker